Our Amish Furniture is finished with three coats of a product known as modified conversion varnish. This is the most durable finish available for use on furniture.
PLEASE NOTE: Your new ﬁnish does not achieve its maximum performance properties for at least 30 days after arrival in your home. Please use extra care during this time!
How to Care for Your Fine Amish Furniture
To maintain the beautiful appearance of your furniture a few care guidelines must be followed:
Many people believe that a real wood product is indestructible, this is far from the truth.
- Limit direct sunlight exposure as much as possible. Place your furniture away from radiators, fireplaces, and heating ducts, if possible. Over exposure can cause a change in the appearance of your furniture’s finish.
- Your furniture responds to changes in temperature and humidity by expanding and contracting. Indoor humidity should range from 30-50%. In winter, use a humidifier. In summer, use a dehumidifier or air conditioner. Even with proper settings, you still may notice a gap where seams or leaves meet. It is a natural characteristic of real woods to do this. If the gap exceeds 3/16” year round, then you should contact us.
- Store table leaves in close proximity to the table, and lying flat, or in the same humidity.
- Avoid scratching your furniture. DO NOT SLIDE OBJECTS ACROSS SURFACE! Use placemats, coasters, or trivets to protect your table from scratches and excessive heat.
- Avoid using nail polish, alcohol, and other solvents near your furniture.
- Do not use cleaners containing bleach, silicone, wax, ammonia, or cleaners with abrasives, that may scratch the finish. So, NO Murphy’s Oil Soap, or Swifter’s either. We recommend using Heirloom Essentials fine furniture cleanser & polish. Available for purchase at our store.
- Conversion varnish offers a very hard mar-resistant surface, but like any finish may still be scratched or damaged if not cared for properly. Placemats are recommended.
- HOT ITEMS: Please be sure to not allow anything with heat to sit directly on the table, as this will cause white cloudy “heat spots”. We recommend trivets w/feet or placemats that have a protection liner, that do not allow heat to travel through them. We do not cover refinishing on the furniture, as a warranty issue. This is considered customer care. Remember, this is real wood furniture, and not laminate or granite.
- We also sell protective table pads, and placemats, and recommend them if you will be using objects that are too hot to hold. These have a 550 degree protection liner.
- You have 5 days from date of delivery to purchase our Worry-Free Protection Plan. Please call us for details to add this plan for $249. See attached page for additional details.
ROUTINE CLEANING & CARE GUIDELINES
- For most cleanings, all you need is warm water, and a soft cloth. Then wipe dry.